My followers know me - no need for introduction or explanation. If you don't know me, the best way to find out is to read some of my posts. A cute little intro up here isn't going to help much. :)

Saturday, July 30, 2011

A quick recap of my first Oly meet...

So, today was my first Olympic lifting meet.  I was starting to get nervous yesterday.  On the way home, my check engine light started flashing.  For the record, a solid check engine light = get it to the shop when you can.  A blinking check engine light = STOP DRIVING! LIKE NOW!  So yeah, I finished driving home.  In my defense, it did stop blinking once I got to the top of the hill where it started blinking.  First thing this morning, I was at the shop with my car figuring out what was wrong.  Spark plug wires.  They had them in stock, and would fix them, but not in time for me to get to the meet.  So, I got a shuttle ride to the meet.  The lady driving the shuttle was surprised that I was a weightlifter and didn't look like a man.  I have a job (so I can't train 6+ hours a day) and no desire to take steroids - not much chance I'll end up looking very manly.

Ok, so anyway, I got to the venue about 30 minutes before I could weigh in.  No big deal, my coach was the one running the meet, so I knew plenty of people and I hung out.  Weigh-in time came, I weighed 68.14kg - plenty of room to spare to make the 69kg weight class.  Then I had two hours until the women started lifting.  I hung out, ate, weighed in some of the other women (saw more boobs than I thought I would but whatever) and warmed up.  Next thing I knew, it was time to lift.

Snatch:
1st attempt - 25kg
nailed it
I was a little moderately nervous.  It was the first lift of my first meet, but I've made that lift tons of times before.  Also, most of my family and a lot of my friends were in the audience, so I was nervous about lifting in front of them.  Either way, I made it. 

2nd attempt - 30kg
missed it
Actually managed to somehow sort of bounce it off my head (yeah, I don't know either), but it didn't hurt.  Then I got pissed that I missed it and threw the bar to the platform.  I'm pretty amazed my mom didn't pass out when it hit my head, but she was good.  I did get some chalk in my hair though.

3rd attempt - 30kg again
nailed it
My coach (as I'm walking on the platform): "Make it aggressive. Be aggressive!"  So i looked over and said "soooo, aggressive?"  I don't think I'm capable of not being a smart ass.  Anyway, I was aggressive, good hip drive and made it pretty readily.

Then I sat and ate and chatted while all the other women finished up.

Clean & jerk:
1st attempt - 35kg
nailed it
My cleans are usually pretty solid up through 40+, so this was a gimme (as a first lift should be).

2nd attempt - 40kg
nailed it
Not much to say - just nailed it

3rd attempt - 43kg - new PR attempt.  Although I had had 43kg overhead before, I hadn't locked my arms (I pressed it out, so it wouldn't have counted at a meet).
nailed it
same as the 2nd - I just went out there and hit it.

All-in-all, it was a good meet!  I stayed to watch some of my gymmates lift and then I was volunteered to help load the bar between lifters (FYI - this sucks, especially since the bar is on the floor and not on a rack).

I had a friend drive me back to my car.  I paid for my car, came home, took ibuprofen and iced my shoulder (which I will do again in a few minutes).  I also ordered a pizza and just finished eating half of it, accompanied by some G2 gatorade.

Good stuff I say, good stuff.

Can't wait till November!!!!!!!!!!!  *wink wink* Cathy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment