My followers know me - no need for introduction or explanation. If you don't know me, the best way to find out is to read some of my posts. A cute little intro up here isn't going to help much. :)

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Vacation - yay!

VACATION!!

Wrightsville Beach, NC - This is the first time I've been here and I will be back.  Two thumbs up!
Thursday was spent driving.  11 hours on the road for an 8 hour trip.  We hit a little construction, a little traffic and a fair amount of outlet shopping and food.  Thursday, while officially a vacation day according to work, does not really count as vacation because we were traveling.  Oh well, as I say, "A crappy day of (insert activity here) is better than a good day at work".  We met up with a friend of a friend for dinner and to get the low down on cool activities in the Wilmington area, which is about 20 minutes away from here.  He made a list for us.  We haven't done any of those things yet.  I appreciate him taking the time to write everything down, but I just haven't felt like going into Wilmington yet.  We'll see - I could quite possibly be perfectly content to hang out in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.  :)
Friday (full day #1): Hit the beach around 11 after hitting the complementary breakfast buffet at 9.  Had lunch at the pool bar at 12:30, then back on the beach at 2 and we stayed until 6.  Apparently I did not reapply my sunscreen as thoroughly as I thought I had.  I have a touch of sunburn on my chest and shoulders.  I've been applying aloe with lidocaine on a regular basis.  I get the feeling that it will peel at some point, but I'm trying to prevent it.
Saturday (full day #2):  Everybody and his brother has now arrived for the Memorial Day weekend.  We were spoiled on Friday.  We hit the breakfast buffet a little later, around 9:30 and it was packed!  Since there is this little problem of sunburn from Day 1 (which we vowed we wouldn't get on the first day), we decided to chill in the room today.  There was a lot of reading, a small amount of napping and the occasional game of  Sudoku.  I brought four books along to read.  The first one is complete.  Look Again by Lisa Scottoline.  I recommend it.  Around 1, there was an excursion to "downtown", downtown being the 100 ft radius of retail- and restaurant-zoned land on the island (which could quite possibly be a peninsula, but honestly, I didn't look at the map).  Almost everything else on the island is residential.  I got a frozen custard for lunch and a 6-pk of Mike's hard cranberry lemonade for this evening.  Now, it's about 4.  I'm hanging out here in the room typing this summary for both of my followers, then I'll be heading down to the pool, as the hotel is having a cookout until 6.  That will be dinner.  The hotel also has kayak rentals and I'm thinking of trying that out tomorrow.

I'll touch on some other things quickly - my abs still hurt from the kickball incident, so I'm not practicing my squats and push-ups like Brittney told me to.  I guess I could practice my squats, but those push-ups are killer on the abs.  Maybe I will do some squats tomorrow.  My buddhism book is on my computer, so maybe this evening I will spend some time with that.  If I get into it and decide to take some notes, I may put it on hold until I get home.  Taking notes is not a vacation activity.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment